BDS term is used for Bachelor of Dental Surgery; it is another popular medical course after MBBS in India for medical students. BDS is an undergraduate level course and it enable aspirants to become a future Dentist. The exact time duration of this course is vary from college to college but mostly it takes 4 years for academic session and 1 year for mandatory paid rotating internship. Dental Council of India is the authorized body controlling the BDS and its all admission procedure and events. Candidates have to register themselves with DCI after completing qualification for practicing in India. Interested candidates desires to take admission in BDS colleges have to qualify National Eligibility cum entrance Test NEET. NEET is a national level Exam held all over in India, once in a year. There are only 26,620 seats are available for BDS candidates according to the Dental Council of India over the 131 colleges including Government, Private, Deemed and central Universities. After the successfully completion of BDS academic qualification with internship, after getting its pass certificate, candidate can practice in India as Dentist and prefix Dr. added to hi/her title.
After clearing the all Examination candidates will be allowed to prevail six months paid rotating internship in the entire department.
Any candidate who have not cleared there BDS course from all subject within the 9 years will be disqualified from the Exams by the Council.
BDS Course Eligibility Parameters & BDS Admission ProcessCandidate has to meet with the required eligibility criteria for admission in BDS colleges as mentioned below;
- To take admission in any BDS college in it is must for every aspirant to qualify the NEET Entrance Examination with valid scores.
- Candidate going to apply for BDS admission had secured at least 50% marks in science stream with the subject, Physic, Chemistry, Biology and English and 40% marks in case of reservation quota.
- The age limit should be 17 year olds and there is no Upper limit for candidates.
- Admission in BDS colleges will be done on the basis of entrance examination and on the performance of 10+2 marks.
- After the declaration of the NEET result, qualified students are called for counseling process by the authorized institutes and seats were allotted to the candidates according to their rank and availability of seats.
BDS course detailsBDS is a Five years long professional course in field of Medical education. It consists 240 days for teaching in academic each year in addition with the paid one year rotation internship. The candidate must have to clear their final examination along with internship for getting BDS degree and practice in India. The entire candidate has to complete their theory work that has been provided in 160 lectures hours within the six months.
|Oral &Maxillofacial Surgery||30 hours.|
|Conservative Dentistry &Endodontic||50 hours.|
|Prosthodontics And Crown& Bridge||50 hours.|
|Public Health dentistry||30 hours.|
|Oral Medicine and Radiology||20 days.|
|Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||20 days.|
|Conservative dentist||10 days.|
|Oral Pathology& Microbiology||10 days.|
|Community Dentist||30 days.|